Conctete patch saves you from repairing the entire driveway or any concrete with cracks.
If you have concrete surface on your property odds are you are going to repair at some point concrete is a durable and versatile material but there are many factors that can develop cracks in it and your concrete work out of alignment be it roots of plants or cold temperatures and ice can lead to damage.
Normal wear and tear can create dangerous situations or unsightly problems.So we are going through basic concrete repair and show you that with little know how and some standard tools you can do it yourself and you can do it right.
Some Concrete Basics
concrete is a composite material that’s it is made of several materials makes a fine and coarse pieces is held together by liquid cement binder.This means that getting the right mix of water and concrete is key to the right strength and drying time.Check your package instructions but generally you are looking to creat a peanut butter consistency.Concrete works best between 50 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit when there is no range.There are different types of concrete that you can find online covering all kinds of applications like water resistant,fast setting time,high strength,reinforced with fiber glass and even counterstop style.Make sure you choose the product that is recommended for your project.
Concrete Patch Process:Concrete Repair
There are various types of cracks in concrete it can be a type of alligator crack or diagonal crack etc Here i am taking an example of sidewall.There are two levels of cracks that you might see the first is a hairline crack and the second is wider crack.For a hairline crack remove any looss debris from the damaged area with wire brush and broom then we can use a caulk gun loaded with a masonry crack filler to fill the crack or you can use a vinyl concrete and a putty knife to fill it in.For a wider crack you will need to use a small sledgehammer and a chisel you want to make the bottom of the crack wider in the top which sounds tricky but it just means angling the chisel like so this will help lock concrete patch in place and keep it from moving,clean the debris with a wire brush and broom with the area and then fill the crack with vinyl concrete patching mix and a trowel.
Concrete Edge Damage With Concrete Patch
Now we all have seen concrete with crumbling edges, missing corners but don’t worry we will fix it too.If it’s more than just a broken edge or a missing corner you may have to replace the whole section but if it’s localised problem you can fix it.
Steps To Repair Broken Edge Of A Concrete With Concrete Patch
- Clean out all the debris with a wire brush and a broom
- Chisel out untill you have strong concrete on all sides.
- Drill out a hole with a masonry bit first
- Take a piece of steel dowel called a rebar rod or rear rod and coated with a latex bonding product and insert it into the hole halfway.
- Apply the same product to the broken edges of the side wall make sure it gets into all of the cervices
- Mix up your concrete patch with water and add some of the bonding product to the mix
- Use your scrap wood to creat form work for the concrete to shape to
- Put your mixture into the formwork with a trowel
- Tamp it down and smooth out the top you can use a broom to lightly score the top for concrete texture.
- Leave those boards in place for a week until it dries and you will be good to go.
Concrete Patch:Section Replacement
when a piece of anything say a sidewalk is too damaged to use it can be best to just rip it out and start over.This step by step guide will show you how to replace whole section with the help of concrete patch.
- First we need to remove the existing damaged surface or concrete
- Once the piece is gone clear any rocks or debris from under the damaged concrete surface where you put the new slab
- Dig around the edges to create a perimeter then its time to build a form
- Make top edge of the form to be even with the existing concrete surface
- Stake the form work to hold your form firmly in place.
- Distribute the stakes appropriately to avoid the form from bowing outward
- Make sure the stakes sit below the top edge of the form or else cut them
- Flush spray the inside of the form with oil for a clean release
- Put a couple of inches of sand in the form
- Mix your concrete and pour it into place and make sure to get into all the corners for an easy way to find out how much concrete we will need check our concrete calculator.
- Use a longboard to flatten the concrete move it slowly from one end to the other with a short sawing motion
- Add concrete to any low spot as you go then you will lightly smooth the surface but be careful not to dig the corner in or you will have to refinish it.
- Let the concrete dry for 30 minutes then use a broom to create a non slip concrete texture
- Lightly place some plastic on top and let it dry for several days
- Remove the plastic and let it dry for a couple of more days and then you remove the forms and replace the dirt around the edges
So we have covered everything related to Concrete patch from tiny cracks to replacing whole sections and while some of it can be time consuming you can do it yourself and you can do it right with webofconcrete.com luck.